Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!!

With Mother's Day upon us, I thought that writing about this centuries-old tradition was in order. I have always believed that this over-commercialized holiday was the brainchild of the greeting card companies, but I was wrong. Countries, the world-around, have been celebrating their mothers for more than a millennium or two. England honored moms with Mothering Sunday held each year during the Lenten season. The ancient Greeks feted Rhea, the Mother of the Gods, while early Egyptians held an annual springtime festival to honor Isis, the Mother of the Pharaohs.  Back here in the USA, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed, "Now, Therefore, I, Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the said Joint Resolution, do hereby direct the government officials to display the United States flag on all government buildings and do invite the people of the United States to display the flag at their homes or other suitable places on the second Sunday in May as a public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country." 

It has been 96 years since Wilson made Mother's Day a national holiday. So, I ask you, how did we go from displaying the flag as our expression of love and reverence for our mothers to lavish gifts of diamonds, flower bouquets, fancy greeting cards that play sappy songs, and brunch buffets at the country club? I personally love the simple gifts from my children. I especially adore their cards, tenderly crafted by hand with construction paper, glitter, and glue stick, and those sweet sentiments inside that come straight from the heart. Every year, with the help of their dad, my kids make a stepping stone for my garden. I now have quite a collection - all dated, decorated with shiny stones and other trinkets surrounding the little hand impressions. It is bittersweet to compare their hands from year to year...oh how they have grown! What is your favorite Mother's Day memory, gift, or activity you have with your children? Please share them with us.

For all the moms in the world, I wish you the happiest of days. May you have an endless supply of hugs and kisses from your kids. Enjoy this day because when these 24 hours pass, it will be all about them again. Happy Mother's Day!!

© Copyright The Baby Squad, LLC, All right reserved.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment